Since 2015, children and young people’s charities have been the most popular cause for people to donate to. Before then Medical research was the most popular cause for a long time in terms of the number of people donating. Religious causes receive the largest share of donations in terms of total money given.
In a typical month around half the population makes a donation to a charity, and around 70% give at least once a year. The typical monthly donation is £14. Read more about fundraising with the public.
Around 37% of people volunteer at least once a year, and 22% do so every month – that’s nearly 12m people.
The most popular causes to volunteer for were:
- Sports clubs which 57% of volunteers had volunteered for in the past year
- Hobbies or social related clubs (40%)
- Religion (38%)
- Children’s education and schools (29%)
- Youth and children’s activities (24%)
- Environmental and animal groups (19%)
- Local and community groups (17%)
Charities Aid Foundation: UK Giving 2015